Friday, March 20, 2015

How does your garden grow?

Finished planting the garden bed.

There's a corner for the leftover greens (which are still going strong even after being cut), then radishes, carrots, onions, kale and cabbage. All in one 8x4 bed. Each has about a 2x3 area to grow, planted in four rows each.  I'll thin them as they mature, of course.

The bed is mixure of perlite, compost, and peat moss in equal measure. I think we added in a bag of manure as well b/c the bed was so deep (a full foot, filled to about 8-10 inches).  It's great stuff!

You can see pics of my garden bed down  in my Feb 19 post, I think.

Next, I'll fill my planters and get the squash, cucumbers, bell peppers, and watermelon going.  I've still got to get more containers for the herbs, about 6 of them, I think.  I'll use miracle grow mix for these, and maybe some bagged compost as well.

For more info on square foot gardening (or just container gardening) see www.squarefootgardening.com  by Mel Bartholomew.

It's going to be a busy year at our place!

No comments:

Post a Comment

5/5

of radiation finished. brachytherapy went well. no side effects. my last ct scan showed NED, no evidence of disease!! we will monitor ev...