Tuesday, November 27, 2018

He has a new title now!!

As of today, he's not just a son, a grandson, a nephew...he's now a FRIEND!!

Drake spoke today, and it blew me out of the water.

A bit of backstory. Last night/Sunday night, as I was lying in bed with him before he fell asleep, he confided in me that he was lonely, and wanted a real friend. It broke my heart. I prayed later that I'd give up having a friend of my own *different story*, if God would send one for Drake.

 We talked about how he has to try to be brave, doing small steps like not hiding or turning away from people, just giving a wave, or saying 'hi'. Small stuff at first.

Then, as per his therapist's advice, we practiced mock conversations. I pretended to be a little boy and we did a back and forth of things to say and talk about. Hi/how are you/what's your name/what are you doing?/favorite games, foods, ect.

This morning/Monday, we met the homeschool group for a movie at the local theatre. No one approached him, and he kind of stood behind a column while we waited for everyone to get there, then we watched the movie *The Grinch, highly recommend. After, we took a picture of the group, and dispersed. I figured it was a fun day over all.

We went to McD's for lunch, and one of the mom's happened to show up there with her son. They had gone to a nearby Japanese restaurant, but it was closed, so they changed plans. I smiled at her, we talked a bit about the movie, then I got our food and sat down with Drake. They came over soon after and asked to sit next to us. Of course, I said yes, hoping for a 'talking chance'.

After a bit of basic back and forth with the mom, I asked the son's name, then introduced Drake.
Drake actually gave a quick wave and 'hi'!! Then, he asked Nathan what he was doing, and if he was bored! Who is this child and where is my own? Y'all, I about cried in the middle of Mickie D's.

The boys began a conversation, Drake went over on the other side of the tables nearest Nathan, while I spoke to the mom. THEN, b/c it gets even better, Nathan told his mom that Drake asked him if he could come to our house to play!!! Drake asked him if they could be friends, and when Nathan said yes, Drake jumped up and down with joy.

We went to a local park and the boys played for over an hour without getting bored. We plan to get together soon, and I am so overwhelmingly happy, grateful, and blissed out. God had His hand all over this! Please be in prayer for Nathan's family, our family, and future friendships.

Nathan's mom is a year older than I, they live in a mobile home as well, her husband was a pastor for 12 years, only the one child, she likes antiques and thrift stores, ect, I think WE may become friends as well!

Looks like my 'gratitude list' just got a bit longer!

4 comments:

  1. Tammy that's so wonderful to hear! And you have a new friend too. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, He is. It was a much needed and very welcome blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I would stop by and peek into your blog, I enjoyed reading your down to earth writing about your life. Praying for your little boy and husband. It's also so nice that you may have met a nice friend that you have things in common with, and that is such a blessing.

    Thanks again for coming by my blog, it meant the world and blessed my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I enjoyed your blog, and will be back!

      Delete

5/5

of radiation finished. brachytherapy went well. no side effects. my last ct scan showed NED, no evidence of disease!! we will monitor ev...