Thursday, March 15, 2018

Open Pages and a Cuppa!

Or, what I'm reading right now, and what I drink while I do.

Not much is going on, just everyday life (tired of the cold, though), so I thought I'd share what I'm wasting time.....er, educating myself, with these days, lol.


As you can see, I'm kind of on a Tea kick at the moment. Weird thing is, I haven't found a tea that I really like yet! Now, being Southern, I love my sweet tea, though these days it's unsweet with Splenda and LOTS of lemon (due to diabetes, alas), but hot tea? Not so much. More on that later.

So, the tea books.  I think my favorite is The Charms of Tea. Lovely pictures, and great recipes.
A close, close second is A Proper Tea. Gorgeous illustrations, and it is studded throughout with quotes and chapters of famous books that feature tea. Neat! Also good recipes.

Afternoon Teas is a cookbook, and I'd like it better if it didn't have the back chapters dealing with birthday cakes. Seems out of place, but maybe that's just me. I haven't gotten deeply into this one yet.

Having Tea also features beautiful photography, and good recipes, with captions such as Sunday Afternoon Tea, Children's Tea, Dessert Party Tea, and more. A solid choice.

The Gentleman's Farm isn't a tea book, but does have some gorgeous pictures and history on famous farms and houses of America. You will drool, I'm sure. Mount Vernon, Monticello, Peace and Plenty, The Farm at Sunnyside are a few of those mentioned. If you like history and design/architecture, this might be for you!

I also have Almost Homemade by Taste of Home, and it's okay. Not enough recipes for me to buy it for my collection, but worth a look see. 

One I did buy for my shelves is Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible. You WILL drool over this. Esp if you love southern foods. I grew up on this stuff, I understand it, it makes me happy. This book won't be going to the thrift/donation store!

Now, about that tea....

Perhaps my issue is that I keep trying herbal teas, rather than the 'real deal'. Bengal Spice was waaay too cinnamony, just over the top. Now, Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride tastes like slightly grassy water with a  faint sweet aroma, but no real sugar cookie taste. 

Perhaps I'm not brewing them correctly, but I doubled up on the Sugar Cookie, and it didn't make a difference. Very weak. I think I'll move on to a true tea; I've heard Lady Grey has notes of citrus in it, perhaps I'll like that one. I'll need to order it though, my town doesn't carry it anywhere, only Earl Grey. 

And, if all else fails and I just don't like hot tea, I"ve always got my iced, sweet standby, right? 

What are you favorite teas, and how do you drink them, one lump, or two? :)



5 comments:

  1. I love all kinds of tea. I drink hot tea in a tea cup with a spoonful of sugar. Black tea I add a splash of milk and sugar. Herbal teas, I will sometimes add a slice of lemon. I have Lady Grey but I don't remember where I bought it. I really like it. If you like I can mail you a teabag before you order in case you decide you don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Okay, I will mail it tomorrow. You can go ahead and delete your address. I have it on my notepad now.

      Delete
  2. May I suggest Constant Comment by Bigelow? It is a black tea with a hint of orange spice. It's been a favorite for years. I admit I like my tea weak.
    Be blessed,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try that! We live in SE Ga, and it's about 2.5 hours to Charleston, maybe 3 hours, to the Bigelow Plantation. My MIL wants to tour it, and we might manage it this year. She would be over the moon!

      Delete

5/5

of radiation finished. brachytherapy went well. no side effects. my last ct scan showed NED, no evidence of disease!! we will monitor ev...